Thursday, June 15, 2006

Summer salads

It's so hot here, who wants to cook (or eat) much during the summer. Lately I've taken to making salads for dinner. These two were real winners. Original recipes were meatless, but I live with a carnivore, so I add grilled chicken. I'm not really sure of all the exact measurements as I just use recipes as a guide. I would just add to taste. :-)

Chicken/Blueberry
I took this to a pool party and folks loved it
5 oz. mixed greens
2 grilled chicken breasts
4 oz. feta cheese
Toasted almonds
Blueberries (maybe 2 cups?)
Dressing:
2 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs red wine vinegar
1.5 tsp honey
(Doug actually thought there should be a bit more dressing on the salad)

Salad 2
Doug raved about this one last night
Mixed greens or green leaf lettuce
2 grilled chicken breasts
4-5 oz goat cheese (chevre)
Toasted walnuts
Dried cranberries
1 mango, diced
1 apple, diced (recipe didn't call for this but I added)
Dressing
3 Tbs of rice wine vinegar (or some other light vinegar)
6 Tbs of olive oil (or oil of your choice; recipe called for walnut oil, but that's expensive)
Honey (to taste)
Dijon mustard (to taste)

No comments: