Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Bits and pieces

As of today, Doug and I have been together 8 years. We are going to have a quiet celebration tonight. Work has been so hectic for both of us that we didn't want to do anything big.

The IKEA opens today in Round Rock. It's the first in the area and third in Texas. Folks have been camping out in front of the store since Monday. I'm curious to shop in the store, but not that curious.

General Hospital's Luke & Laura are renewing their wedding vows after 25 years. As my mom reminded me in an email yesterday, I checked out of school to watch the original. Truly, I think stupid stuff you did 25 years ago shouldn't still be held against you. Quite honestly, it's been 15 years since I've watched a soap opera.

Speaking of soap operas, this time of year turns into a student soap opera. I get all sorts of stories on why students haven't been doing well and why they deserve a chance to bring their grade up. With other stuff going on, I had several tough conversations yesterday. I also had a guest speaker cancel on me last minute. Let's just say yesterday was rough and I'm glad it is over.

No update on Doug's job situation. Every week he thinks it will his last. It probably will be in the next few weeks. He has had some interviews, but everyone is waiting a few weeks.

Doug's parents are coming next week for Thanksgiving. I'm just looking forward to not having a pile of grading. Every weekend for the last few weeks has been a huge stack of grading. Even this weekend will be 30 papers, project brochures and a stack of case studies. I am looking forward to a few days off for Thanksgiving. Of course, everything piles up again on the 30th, which is the last day of class. Yes, teachers count down to the end of the semester as much as the students do.

My thesis advisor has asked me to consider turning my thesis into a series of papers and presentations. He is willing to work on it so we can get it done; he thinks we can get some of the work published. I'm actually juiced about the idea. I was prepping my final lecture about PR trends. This is where I discuss blogging and new technologies. Every semester I have to update this lecture, especially this semester. Last semester You Tube was a passing mention regarding viral marketing; this semester it is a part of our discussion, along with social marketing and Web 2.0.

That's all for now.

No comments: