Thursday, July 06, 2006

Sigh of relief

My thesis is done...well, almost done. I have finished writing, rewriting, editing, proofing and double-checking. My advisor approved my final chapter this morning and I emailed the complete thesis to my committee this afternoon. I still have to defend the thesis, which will take place Wednesday at 10 a.m. If any reader is in San Marcos and would like to learn about blogging and opinion leadership, let me know. :-)

I'm not quite sure what to expect on the defense. My advisor told me I had 20 minutes to present my thesis and could do it in whatever format I'm most comfortable. Call me crazy, but I really prefer Powerpoints because without them, I think the audience can get lost with the data.

The past few days I've been having crazy thoughts, equating my thesis defense to the Albert Brooks' movie Defending Your Life. The premise of the movie is that when you die you are sent to a place where the powers that be hold court on your life. If you didn't get it right during life, you are sent back to Earth to try it again. Daniel (Brooks) has to work hard in his defense to prove that he is worthy to stay. Julia (Meryl Streep), on the other hand, finds it a breeze going through the judgment process. I just hope that my thesis defense is more like Julia and less like Daniel.

No comments: