Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Slow news week

I guess it's the same all over. Nothing much is happening this week. Back when I was working in PR, you always noticed a significant slow down starting the end of May. People are heading out of town for graduations and weddings. We only had about 30 people, versus our usual 45-50, at our May WOW tasting. The Gonzo Gourmet Club had to cancel its dinner this month due to lack of responses. In all fairness, though, there hadn't been a Gonzo dinner in more than 6 months and we only had a 5 day notice -- of course, everyone was booked.

Anyway, I haven't been ignoring the blog, I just haven't had much to write about since our return from wine country. I did get news today that one of my friends/former colleagues is running for Congress in the First District of Arizona. His name is David Schlosser and he's a great guy. If you know anyone there, tell them to vote for Schlosser.

The only other news I have is that my friend Tierney may have to put down her 10 year old black lab, Buddy. They are running tests for lymphoma. Three weeks ago when I was over there he was his same old self, but this last weekend he was really out of it. Tierney had taken him to the vet for a lump in his neck, and was told it was an infection. They gave him antibiotics, but he only got worse and didn't want to eat. By the time I left Sunday, he was having trouble walking. As of yesterday, it appears he went blind. Tierney had to try to close off access to the pool so he won't accidentally fall in. It makes me really sad to hear this, especially how sudden it seems. I don't know what we would do if we had to face that decision. Dexter is 10 1/2 and I know that it's only a matter of time (then again, the cat I grew up with lived to be at least 18). But I think that for us, it would be easier decision with a cat than the dogs. Either way, I had to give my animals a great big hug today.

No comments: