Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Is that a didjeridu in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

It all started last week when I received an email from my sister asking about outdoorsy things to do in Austin when she and her husband drive down from Dallas for a getaway weekend. Specifically, she asked about Hippie Hollow. At first, I was completely shocked that my straight-laced sister was thinking about going there. Then I thought, "maybe she just doesn't know what it is," so I emailed her:

Hippie Hollow is a nude beach. Basically it's just skanky, worn out hippies
who go there, not exactly the kind of folks you want to see naked.

After that email, I started thinking about Hippie Hollow; since it is a county park and charges admission now (sort of like how you have to pay to see a peep show), I figured there would be a site I could link to. However, the site I found had more than just photos of the beach. It had photos of the visitors in all their natural wonder. Of course, there were very few of the folks who you wanted to see naked. I really could have done without seeing grandma and grandpa in all their glory.

There was this one guy, however, that struck my funny bone. He was in his late 40s/early 50s. He had long gray hair, balding at the top (of course), and a scraggly beard. He had a pot belly and was naked, except for his shoes. But this guy had one thing the others didn't, a five foot long didjeridu. This is not a euphemism for one of his more private parts, it was actually a didjeridu, which is this musical instrument from Australia. It makes sort of a vibrating noise. I don't know why, but it strikes me as ironic that this guy can't bother with clothes, but is out there playing his didjeridu, and not in just one photo, but a dozen. With Austin being the "Live Music Capital of World" I guess that it makes sense that even at naked beaches folks have their instruments out. :-)

Dara

1 comment:

dquack said...

BTW, I have several folks tell me that Hippie Hollow has turned primarily into a gay park.