Tuesday, December 18, 2007

What do you want for Christmas?

I cringe when I get asked that question. I guess I have to admit that I am difficult to buy for. Problem is, I want very little, or what I do what you either can't buy or it's too expensive. I think my friend CJ was right in her post about Christmas.

I want someone to come makeover the house, a la Queer Eye. I want someone to lay new flooring (assuming Doug and I could ever figure out what we want). I want someone to tell me exactly what to plant where in my front yard and help in giving the yard some curb appeal. I want a new couch -- one that is not 13 years old and getting frayed on the arms. I want not to feel rushed all the time.

I want photo collections of when we were growing up. I want family heirlooms that remind me where we came from. I want something thoughtful and artistic that reminds me of you every time I look at it. Our house is full of stories and I want you to add to it. I want a letter telling me how much you care.

I want classes -- things that will further develop my interests. I want some good books. I want a weekend getaway; even a day trip will do. There are so many places in central Texas I haven't been to. Don't ask me if I want to go, just tell me that we are going. Invite me to a great restaurant I haven't tried before. Discovering new, unusual places is the great fun of eating out. Invite me over for dinner. That's where memories are made.

I hate to admit this, but gift cards aren't for me. I may never tell you this, because I don't want to hurt your feelings, but most of the time they go unused. I think I was born without the shopping gene, because I really despise shopping. When I do go, chances are I forget the gift card.

The places I like to shop, at least for things for me, are local quirky places and festival/markets. I'm much more likely to use a gift card from Blue Moon Glassworks than from Kohl's. Even then, most of the material I buy at Blue Moon is used in a gift for someone else.

So yes, I'm difficult to buy for. But the things I want can't be bought. This Christmas I want the gift of you.

No comments: