Sunday, December 09, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. Grinch

Today is the 50th birthday of the Grinch, at least according Book People, which is throwing party today in his honor. One of my most memorable Christmas event was when my elementary class did "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" with various students acting out different parts. I actually had one of the biggest roles -- I was a reader, meaning I read a section in the book while the other students acted it out behind us. In fact, from the 6 or so readers, I had the longest, and the last, section to read. The night of the play, one of the other readers was a no show, so I had to read her part too. The spotlight was on me!

Doug was laughing when I told him this last night. I couldn't remember what grade I was in -- maybe fourth or fifth -- so I called mom to ask her. Not only did she not know, she didn't even remember this. One of the few things I remember from elementary school, and one of my favorite Christmas pageants (and the only one where I was featured), and my mother didn't remember. Go figure.

Anyway, ever since that year, whenever it was, the Grinch has had a special place in my heart. Here's to you, Mr. Grinch -- happy birthday!

No comments: