Monday, January 09, 2006

A case of the Mondays

"Someone's got a case of the Mondays" ... and it's me. For those who don't recognize that quote, it's from Office Space, a movie that would be hilariously funny and if it weren't typical of 99.8% of the jobs at tech companies. But I digress.

Today was the Monday of all Mondays. It started at 2:30 a.m. when Dante woke me up to let him out. I left open the door between our bedroom and the living room (the path to the doggy door and outside) so that he could get back in. However, for some reason, Dante forgot that he went out the doggy door and started scratching on the outside door to our bedroom, wanting to come back in. There is a reason he earned the nickname "Cement Head." After 5 minutes he figured out that he could come back through the doggy door.

After this, I was having trouble falling back asleep. It didn't help matters that Doug was snoring pretty loud. After an hour of not being able to fall asleep, I decided to try the couch.

Unfortunately, my Monday didn't end when I finally fell back asleep. After a short, restless night of sleep, the alarm went off and I got ready for work. As I was driving downtown, I got a flat tire. I was in the middle lane of I-35 and luckily was able to make it to the shoulder. I checked the tire and called Doug. I figured we could change cars and he could get the flat fixed. As I waited for him to arrive, I noticed two other cars pulled over ahead of me. One ran out of gas, the other had another flat. Three cars in need of roadside assistance within 100 yards of each other -- one should stay away from I-35 at the Braker Lane overpass.

Finally I got into the office, but my Monday continued. My main project for today was researching reporters in a media database. Unfortunately, the database was being temperamental, taking me twice as long to get the research done as it should have.

Unfortunately, some Mondays are like that. I did get my project done and Doug was my hero by fixing the flat and cooking dinner. Now if I can get caught up on my sleep tonight, tomorrow should be much better.

No comments: